Sunday, March 23, 2014

WITH LEFT OVER YOU GET EGG ROLL



           Recently I met with my family for a Saturday get together. We had an Asian theme going on and I was to bring stuff for egg rolls. I did bring the fillings, my fryer, rack, oil, but when I arrived after an hours drive I realized I forgot the wrappers in my fridge at home. Well it was easier to call one of my kiddos to pick up wrappers on their way.
      So later, when I got home, and was setting a few things in the fridge,  I realized I have three packs of egg roll wrappers. Well since I had just had egg rolls, and though I love them, I decided to wait a bit to make some more. I hadn’t thought about fillings just figured id make some more. Then a few days ago it occurred to me. I had some left over pork loin chops in a sweet cayenne sauce, some left over fresh steamed corn, some left over asparagus, and half a container of bean sprouts from the other egg rolls. I also had some chopped bell pepper in the freezer. (When they are on sale, especially the colored ones,  get a bunch and chop them, shake in a strainer to remove a bit of juice,  and put in plastic bags to freeze. They come out perfect for cooking. Though if you are going to use raw bell pepper, like say in a salad the frozen ones do not work). Well I also have loads of cabbage… it was on sale everywhere for St Pat’s day, and I have plans for it all… but I could spare a quarter head. I also had a bit of Maitake mushrooms left from the other batch of egg rolls which I chopped small.  

     So I chopped up some cabbage. I also chopped the asparagus in tiny pieces on the bias, plus some celery, green onions and cilantro. I minced the pork into small pieces and mixed it in the sauce I had, plus a bit of soy sauce. Then out came the wok, some olive oil and sesame oil, five spice, garlic powder, and ginger. Quantity wise I had about ½ cup of everything except maybe a cup of each cabbage and pork.

     
      I started in the hot oils, about 3 tbsp canola and 2 tsp sesame,  with the cabbage, followed by the onions and cilantro, then the bell pepper, then bean sprouts, corn, asparagus, mushrooms, then the celery. I like a bit of crunch left in it for egg rolls.  Then I seasoned with salt pepper garlic powder, ginger, and five spice*, a splash of soy and then added in the meat till all was blended well.
     I did all this rapidly so the cabbage had just enough time to cook to a slightly crunchy/chewy stage. Drain your filling of any oil in a strainer or colander.




     Then simply enough, I rolled the filling in the wrappers. (which BTW are sold in the produce section usually at the end by tofu and such. They are sometimes labeled wonton wrappers, but it’s the same thing. Get the square ones not the half size, which are actually for won tons in particular.)
     Lay your wrapper one at a time in a diamond shape with corner facing you. Wet your wrapper with water and a pastry brush. 




      Lay the filling, about a heaping tablespoon full at a diagonal to the square as shown, just below the half way point. Take your spoon and shape the filling compactly into an egg roll shape, extraneous bits of food scattered about will mess up the rolling and sticking of the wrapper. Fold in the corners at the sides over the filling. Now wet the folded in corners as well. Roll up your egg roll by bringing up the bottom corner and folding it over the filling then rolling up the rest. Lay your rolls on wax paper or baker’s parchment, in a rectangle cake pan to fry soon.








     As for the frying, some folks use peanut oil but it’s not necessary, and with left over filled egg rolls I just used the standard canola I use for most things. The oil must be hot set to 400 or on high, or if you haven’t a fryer use a skillet with about ¾ inch of oil in it and turn the rolls over half way through, heat up the oil in the skillet at start, till you can see convections, (wavy movement within the heating oil) in it, just before smoking stage, Then turn the oil down to med high, and fry your rolls.  You can fry about 4 in my regular fryer at a time. If you are using a fryer when they float to the top they tend to keep flipping on the same side if you don’t get them turned over quick enough, (before a pocket of air forms). If this is the case lay a spatula or slotted spoon on top to weight them under the oil till they are a nicely golden. Allow them to rest in the basket for just a moment if using the fryer, then lay them on a rack or on paper towels to drain. A rack will keep them crispier.












     


     So now I have all these egg rolls. No matter, they are a great snack with some soy sauce or mustard. To re-warm they do best in the oven or toaster oven so they can re-crisp…

   Egg rolls can be filled with any leftovers, just about any meat and or veggies. The crisper or chewier veggies work best, like cabbage, celery, or corn, and its best for body and texture to have at least one crispy/chewy veggie, but what ever you don’t want waste, the more the merrier. Add a little Asian seasonings. It’s a great way to clean out your fridge and make use of the leftovers to create something good for snacks or really good for work lunches, with ramen or rice. Don’t forget to bring your soy sauce, hot mustard, or Hoisin sauce to work! Another time I will give some fresh filling recipes.

*five spice blend is beginning to be sold in many stores now, but if you cannot find it you can make your own. There are many blends that contain mandarin orange zest, and or turmeric, Sichuan pepper, ginger and more…but for what most folks have in the kitchen the formula is as follows: 1 part cinnamon, 1 part black pepper, ½ part ground cloves, ½ part crushed anise seeds or better crushed star anise if you have it, and 1 part crushed fennel seeds.

     Pictured here clockwise on the plate, are my egg rolls at bottom right, five oclock… with a few fried wonton strips, Ramen, Miso and spring onion soup with a few fried wontons in it, and spicy mustard, which I just mixed up by adding a bit of cayenne and wasabi, but not too much. Soy sauce for dipping is off to the side in the black ramekin.
  Well I honestly, don't know an Asian phrase for enjoy your food, but i do hope you do.


 Blessings mes amis

1 comment:

Russ Manley said...

I can testify that the egg rolls are scrumptious! Still enjoying mine.