Tuesday, February 25, 2014

THE WISHBONE BLESSING




     When I was young my mother used to put wishbones on a shelf in the pantry where she had her spices and seasonings. I asked her once what they were there for. “Actually,” she answered, “if I’m taking the meat off of a left over roasted bird and no ones around when I find the wishbone, then I clean it and put it there, thinking you kids could wish with it later… but I often forget they are there till I put another one there.” She took one and asked if I wanted to make a wish which I did, and we did. Then we looked at the other three or so left on the shelf. I was wondering were we going to wish with all of them. My mom seemed to be thinking. “These will stay here,” she told me, “they will be a little wishbone blessing on my spices. That way when ever I use these spices in food I’m cooking for some one, I’ve prayed them a little blessing that upon eating my cooking they will have a wish come true.” We decided this was a good idea, and always after that there was at least one wishbone on the spice shelf.
      It was this little notion of my Mom’s, this little act of love that she added along with the spices…. the ingredient of intent that her food bless those who eat it, that stayed with me and said something to me about food, meals, life, and love that has been core to all my cooking. She said the wishbone there was always a reminder for her to say that little prayer when she reached for spices. I understood then that to her cooking was not a chore or duty, or a creative effort alone, but a sacred art taken on with joy.


     I don’t always do so, but for just about any large meal I’m cooking for others, certainly holiday meals, I begin with a tiny intent prayer. I like to start with a completely clean kitchen. And once that is done, or if it was clean before, just as I start the first task of preparation I pray that my hands may do good work and my food bless those who eat it. Sometimes I even look over at my spice rack to see the wishbones I have collected there.

     To add to all this my family does another thing with the wishbones. I read that in days gone by who ever got the wishbone in their food would clean it off then try to throw it up and catch it in the chandelier. At the years end all the wishbones would be taken down, and folks at the table would hold them in a circle and everyone make a wish and pull.
    Well I have no chandelier, but since I keep them on the spice shelf anyway there they collect till years end. At yuletide when we have our Christmas dinner. Each person gets a wishbone. This year I put them at their place setting. Before the meal starts, but after the blessing, we each take our wishbone in our right hand and cross our arms in front of ourselves offering the wishbone to person at our left. who then takes the other end of the wishbone with their left hand. everyone takes the time to make a wish… then we all pull!
                                         
                                 

  

  Family traditions are fun. Rituals and traditions mark points in time and commemorate them each year, when we gather, hopefully, with the same family or group to be together. The rituals, bind us to something unseen. There is something spiritual that is more than just the food we eat or the place settings. It’s in the company we are enjoying. The time we are setting aside to just be with each other and enjoy some tasty food and drink. There is a saying I keep meaning to make a plaque of and put in my kitchen…FOOD IS LOVE.... simple and true.
     Remember that when you go to prepare food for those you love. You know you want it to be good and the table to look nice because you want them to feel good and feel happy. You want to bless them.
     Remember the wishbone blessing whenever you use seasonings from now on. And never forget the most important ingredient in any recipe … the intent… to create something that blesses those you cook for.
And with that said… Blessings mes amis

No comments: