Monday, February 3, 2014

FEBRUARY 2, 2014 NIGHT

Bonsoir Candlemas


Alas the night is done and I will sleep well soon. All the dishes are done and everything cleaned up. My supper was lovely. It was crepes filled with four kinds of cheese… cheddar, extra sharp white cheddar, Swiss, and Dublinger. On top I put my own midnight grape jam. And on the side I made creamed cabbage using a bit of ham I had frozen from last Christmas. The recipes below, are as you can see really simple food. And sometimes that’s the best. I did light candles all over the room,  prayed for a good year ahead, and I even flipped the crepe with a coin in my hand. I don’t have a photo of that as I had to put down the griddle and pick up the camera, but I got a photo of how the crepe landed…you will just have to take my word for it. I do regret not having someone to share the evening with. I’ll have to think ahead next time and invite someone over… and my friend who gave me the griddle for Christmas loves crepes… but it being so cold and some of the roads are bad… Annee prochaine mon ami.

Candlemas crepes batter
v     ½ cup of water
v     ½ cup of milk
v     2 eggs
v     ¾ cup of flour
v     1 tsp salt
v     2 tbsp melted butter
v     1 tbsp powdered sugar
v     ½ tsp fine ground black pepper
v     ½ tsp vanilla extract
v     1 blessing from Brigid


   Combine the salt, pepper, powdered sugar, and flour in a bowl and blend well. In another bowl mix the water and milk then beat in the 2 eggs. Sift in the flour mixture whipping with a whisk. Add the melted butter and whip, then add the vanilla and whip all well until mixture is smooth. Let the batter sit for 1 ½  to 2 hours.
   Heat a flat skillet or griddle, non stick preferred, spray well with cooking spray regardless. With a small ladle pour about ¼ cup of batter in the center of hot pan and swirl around quickly to make the size of the crepe. Watch the crepe as the top will become dry quickly before your eyes, once the top looks dry wait about 15 more seconds then flip crepe with a spatula. or try just flipping it with the pan it was easier than I thought.  Though I did not press my luck after two successful ones and photos I used a spatula.
   Lay each crepe on a wire rack for a moment to cool while the next one cooks. Then fill each one loosely over ½ of the circle with grated cheese and fold over then again into fourths, and lay on an oven proof plate. After they are done place the stoneware plate in the oven at 300 for just a bit to melt the cheeses. Eat topped with jam.


Creamed cabbage
v     about ½ a cabbage chopped
v     ½ to ¾ cup of chopped ham
v     5 tbsp butter
v     ½ tsp nutmeg
v     salt and pepper to taste
v     ½ cup of water
v     1 tsp lemon juice
v     ½ cup of cream
v     2 tbsp flour
v     1+1/2 cups of milk

    Melt 3 tbsp of butter into a large sauce pan that has a lid. Add the chopped ham and turn the heat down medium / low cooking the ham with the lid on for about five minutes stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage and turn it over and over coating it with the butter and ham. Put the lid on and cook for about five more minutes on low heat while you get the water and add the lemon to the water. Add the water to the cabbage and a bit of salt and pepper.  Stir and put the lid back on cooking for another three minutes or so. Add the cream to the cabbage mix stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and return to cooking. While the cabbage cooks in a small sauce pan melt the 2 remaining tbsp of butter, add 2 tbsp of flour. With a whisk mix well then start to add the milk a tiny stream at a time whisking as you go. When all the milk has been incorporated add the nutmeg and mix. Now season to taste with salt and pepper. Add this sauce to the cabbage which should be tender by now, and stir in well. Heat everything together for about one more minute stirring gently.











Well dear ones, its been a busy but accomplished and lovely day… except the weather. Love to all and to all a Candlemas good light, and good night. Pachelbel’s Kannon is playing on the radio (pandora)...  how lovely  a way is that to end a night?
Blessings mes amis

No comments: