Sunday, August 24, 2014

BEAT THE HEAT



Summer Cooler
Infused Water



      If you are a water drinker like I am, or maybe because you are not, this idea may prove to be a refreshing cool down hydrator.

      A few years back at this same time of year. My family and I went to a little restaurant that was getting quite a reputation for its good food. It was in small town and in a small store front. Which meant because the food WAS good. That there was a waiting line, and most of the line was outside. Where I live we have 100° days in the summer. So even at supper time its HOT outside. This restaurant had a huge water cooler in the front of the tiny lobby, inside it they had a whole watermelon and basil sprigs and large blocks of ice in the water, and paper cups, and a help yourself sign. So we did. The infusion of basil and watermelon flavor into the chilled water was unusually more refreshing than just plain water.

 Last year at the community market in my town folks were selling jars of chilled water with pieces of fruit in them. It was the same idea and just as refreshing.




   So here’s what you can try. I have a gallon pitcher, so we are going to go with a basic gallon recipe, of course amounts of additions to the water aren’t really vital, and can depend on how mush infusion you want in the taste.




Here’s a nice basic:
½ cucumber cut into chunks
1 large sprig of mint, about 12 -16 leaves
1 lime cut into pieces
1 lemon cut into pieces
1 sprig of fresh basil about 8” long or so.

    Simply put all the ingredients into a gallon of water and chill in the fridge over a 24 hour period. Then if you have, like I do, a pitcher with a straining lid. Just pour your water and enjoy. Or do what I do and fill some water bottles and place in fridge for later.

    Any of the above ingredients are good. Cucumber really gives a nice quality so I tend to put it in most of my waters, but you can add such things as whole cherries, strawberries, grapes and watermelon pieces, even just the rinds. Basil or rosemary, and lemon balm, or even dried anise stars are good. Celery, and bell pepper are fun too.





    I end up with about 4 bottles of water from a gallon. That takes me about through a day, and I’m always disappointed when I have to shift back to regular water. So try it and see if you don’t agree that it just makes the cold water seem colder and more refreshing and thirst quenching.

    As well there is an added benefit supposedly, but I cannot testify to it. Infused water is supposed to detox your body, help you lose weight, and keep your belly flat… hum… that last one must suppose your belly was flat in the first place. No mater it’s cool, fresh, tasty, and thirst quenching

Blessings mes amis.

5 comments:

Russ Manley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Russ Manley said...

Sounds nice, but pics 2, 4, and 5 aren't displaying on my end.

Tim said...

Lovely idea M.Pierre. However my belly says "hot chocolate or nothing!"

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M. Pierre said...

?? dont know why it was giving yall trouble. it may have been the site. everything is right on this end, i double checked.